Monday, February 23, 2015

Crazy



“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person's enemies will be those of his own household. Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.  Matthew 10:34-39


 


You think you know more about the Bible than anyone else.


Do you think you’re the only ones going to Heaven?


You’re crazy!


Those questions and statements are things I’ve heard from family members. Every last one of them was stated in connection with my faith in Christ and the way I see Scriptures. But the one that actually hurts is when my daughter says “I never want to see things the way you do.”


It would be nice if all our family members, if all people, could see and believe the way we do but Scripture tells us that can’t be.


Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.  For from now on in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three. Luke 12:51-52


When asked if I think we’re (meaning my husband and I) are the only one’s going to Heaven my answer was a definite no. Even when I can look at a person and feel like I can make an accurate assumption that they aren’t born again, when the language they’re using, their choice in entertainment, the clothes they’re wearing, all point to someone that isn’t following Christ…even then…I try not to assume that they aren’t going to Heaven. I can’t know what’s in their hearts, what’s between them and Christ. And I can’t know if the Lord will save them today.


I’ll be the first person to admit I know very little when it comes to Scripture. Yes, I know a lot. Yes, I know more than some. But I will never know enough. And there will always be someone that knows more than me. But as my heart, my very soul, seeks for more and more from Scripture I would never claim to know more than anyone else. This accusation comes my way mostly because I see Scripture different than most ‘Christians’. I see it for what it is. I see it in black and white.


I see it as a monergist.


And most people can’t see that and they can’t understand what it is I see. So when I discuss even the basics of Scripture…I must think I know more than anyone else. And I would never think that.


I let the accusation of being crazy pass without much if any comment. After all, I’d rather be crazy for Christ than sane and lost.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment