Friday, February 20, 2015

Be seperate


Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you,

2 Corinthians 6:17

Life in a fallen world makes everything harder than we’d like it to be. A trip to the grocery store leaves us surrounded by people we understand and yet can’t understand at the same time. Because of Scripture we are able to look at the people, and the chaos, around us and see that they’re unregenerate, doing what unregenerate people do. They talk about things we know nothing about, prattle on and on about the latest movie or a pair of 100.00 shoes. And our heads spin.

At least mine does.

I can talk about expensive jeans and kids clothes, discuss healthy diets, immunizations and a multitude of other things because I am a mom and as a mom I get bombarded with all these things. From my children. From the community. People want to know what grade my children are in, if they’ve had the latest immunization. If I’m concerned about the latest illness that’s running rampant among kids. I can carry on complete conversations about any of those things. But I can’t tell you what was on TV last night. I have no idea who stared in the latest box office hit. And I wouldn’t recognize a popular song if I heard it.

And I don’t want to know any of that.

I don’t want to be able to recognize those people on the covers of all those magazines at the checkout. I don’t want to know what the name of that song I’d rather not be hearing is. The latest news? I don’t want to know what that is either.

As a Christian I’m called to be separate from the world and that’s what I’d prefer to be. If I could do all my shopping online, go out only when I want to; visit only the places that I don’t have to encounter those things, I would.

What I’ve noticed in the few other people that see Scripture as I do is that they try and stay separate from the world too. It doesn’t seem to be something we strive to do it just happens. And we’re happy with that separation, seek it out even. It seems to be a part of the journey that Christ takes us on. As we grow closer to Him we are growing further from the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment