Thursday, June 7, 2018

Why the writings of men?...part two

Yesterday I posted about a group I found myself in the midst of. I joined that group because they came recommended as holding closely to the same beliefs that I hold. I have seen a few posts there that do seem to hold the same beliefs but for the most part it is a group of people that believe very differently than I do. I shared my interactions with them mostly because I wanted to. Shrugging my shoulders here. There was no learning for me, other than the education of encountering a belief system I did not know existed. There was no intent to share it with my husband since he was right in the middle of the encounter and helping me to formulate my response. 

While I was on that group, which I have not yet removed myself from, I also commented on another post. Here is a copy of that post: 

I put this tormenting syllogism ðŸ˜ˆ to one high Calvinist on another page, since he was appealing to Owen's Trilemma.
1) Christ died for original sin.
2) All men have the guilt of original sin.
3) Therefore, Christ died for one of the sins of all men, namely their original sin.
I then said:
You must agree with premise #1, and you seem to have done so already, albeit implicitly. I do not see how you can deny premise #2, unless you want to depart from Augustinianism, and virtually the entire Calvinistic world, since the Reformation to today. So the question then becomes, how does premise #3 not follow from #1 and #2, if both of those are true?

That one, I will admit, left me kind of scratching my head. I don't even know who Owen is and I sure don't know what a Trilemma is. Big words which mean...what? I do not know. But I realized they didn't matter. It was the three points that the poster was trying to use in an irrefutable arguement that had me responding. And in actuality, my first response wasn't really mine at all but my husbands. I wrote the words but he told me what to write. 

Our first response was: 

How does one apply the atonement made by Christ for original sin to their salvation?

To which we were given this reply:

I would say the same way it is applied for actual sins; through faith alone in Christ alone. Christ is an all-sufficient remedy for all sin, both original and actual.

A good answer but one that left my husband feeding me another response:

thank you. I’m not sure I’m understanding though. I know salvation comes through Christ only. But I’m not clear on how it is applied to man. I guess what I’m asking is, based off the three things you listed above, how does man, in his original sin, gain salvation through Christ? Or rather how does one attain the faith that leads to salvation? I hear calvinists say God has elected those that are born again and that salvation is attained through Christ but only if God chooses to save them and then it is only given to certain people of His choosing. I also hear Armenians say that salvation is gained by our choosing to believe in Christ, so man choosing to believe in Christ, choosing to be saved. And that salvation is available to anyone that chooses to believe in Christ. From the three points you gave, about Christ dying for original sin, it seems like salvation is already applied to all of mankind. Is salvation gained at Gods hand, at mans choice, or was it applied across all of humanity when Christ died for sin?

You might say, we kind of played dumb, trying to feel them out for their beliefs.To the second set of questions I received a very long, round about response, that covered everything from what the original poster believed about what happened to babies that die to the fact that there were people in the group that lurked but never posted. I am choosing not to share that reply here because to be honest, it was long, giving the posters response in their own words as well as quoting different books and sources. 

I left that post alone for a while, answering the other one and debating on whether or not I wanted to reply to the first one at all. I knew I would at least thank the person for taking the time to answer me, they did, afterall, devote a lot of their time into giving me a response. What I didn't know if I wanted to do was take it any further. My husband sort of verbally threw his hands in the air, telling me it made his head hurt and I was wasting my time. I agree. I was wasting my time. I've had these kinds of interactions before. The thing is, I enjoy the interactions. They give me a chance to sharpen my own understanding of Scripture. I also have a tendency to think of those lurkers. Whether or not I plant seeds in the person I am talking with, even debating with, only the Lord knows but there is that other side, the lurkers, those that might want or need the response I give, those that might see a grain of Truth in what I say. The Lord works in mysterious ways. He may use what I write in some way or I may be blowing hot air, if you will, doing nothing more than edifying myself. One never knows.

A few months back, I was asked by a relative to respond to a comment made on her social media post. That led into a long discussion with someone that claimed to be a 'Christian', accused me of 'worshiping the Bible' because I would not look to outside sources for my understanding of 'Jesus' and being informed that "Jesus' visited this person often, telling them things not contained in the Bible. I knew I was throwing pearls before swine in talking with this person. I did so though for my relatives sake, knowing they were reading the replies this person gave. What I didn't know until later was that my relatives post was gaining a lot of attention on her social media page, mostly from friends she had met at 'church', due to the large number of comments, most of them from the conversation I was having with the lady. My relative later told me she had received phone calls, friend requests, and been the subject of many conversations at 'church' due to my conversation with the woman on her social media page. So we never know how far reaching our responses might be, even when we don't intend them to. 

And so I set down to give a short response to the post in that group. I should have known better. I think I am incapable of giving short replies. Long or short, here is the answer I gave:


Thank you for taking the time to give me such a detailed reply. I know that took a great deal of time, I am well acquainted with how long it takes to give such answers, even if one is fast at typing. I posted those questions on my first day in this group, understanding little of how the group works or many of the beliefs held by the members. Having now been in this group a couple of days, and having looked at some of the older posts, I realize I am in a group that I do not belong in. You see, I am what you refer to as a high Calvinist. Before this group I had never even heard the term. Oddly enough, I found you through a group for what you call 'high Calvinists' and you came highly recommended as being Sola Scriptura. I have not found that to be the case. However, I do not wish to make waves, at least not too many, as I am essentially visiting you. To share more than my basic views would be the equivalent of me coming to your home and telling you I don't like your furniture or the color you painted your living room. I'm playing in your world so to speak. I will remove myself from the group soon unless I get banned for posting this reply.You said: I put this tormenting syllogism 😈 to one high Calvinist on another page, since he was appealing to Owen's Trilemma.

1) Christ died for original sin.
2) All men have the guilt of original sin.
3) Therefore, Christ died for one of the sins of all men, namely their original sin.

I then said:
You must agree with premise #1, and you seem to have done so already, albeit implicitly. I do not see how you can deny premise #2, unless you want to depart from Augustinianism, and virtually the entire Calvinistic world, since the Reformation to today. So the question then becomes, how does premise #3 not follow from #1 and #2, if both of those are true? I will admit that I have no idea what Owen's Trilemma is. I am not inclined to look it up to find out. You see, I am Sola Scriptura, or Scripture alone. I do not know who the men you refer to in this group are and I do not care to know. In your first comment you said, "The funny thing about the above argument is that the high Calvinist can't go to some modern shallow TULIP book, or something on the internet, to copy and paste that as an answer. It forces them to critically think for themselves for a change, which is not common among them. They usually go to some popular TULIP book, or a past theologian, to learn what to say, and then parrot that. Well, in this case, they can't do that " I have never read a TULIP book although I am acquainted with the TULIP itself. I will NEVER give a response based on something out of a book and I will not copy and paste anything online, unless it is Scripture and then I do so for the sole purpose of not having to write it out myself. In another of your comments you said, "Here is the cogent, well thought out response to the argument I got from the high Calvinist guy a moment ago, who is a pastor. He said, "foolishness."

I mean, what else can he say? It's either that type of a response, or silence. Typically they choose silence when it comes to this argument, and I suspect that is what we will see here as well. But if they want, I suppose they can say "foolishness" as well." There is a much better answer than both of those options, although in truth from a Sola Scriptura standpoint, both are valid replies. Your 3 step application above is based entirely on logic, some of your comments even speak of logic and it being logical. The problem here is logic. You're approaching Christ's atonement for sin from a logical, man centered, thought process. Christ is not logic. His ways are not our ways. You justify these thoughts by referring to some man, Owen, and his ideas rather than giving Scripture verses to back your beliefs. Salvation is all of God and nothing of man. John 15:16 says: You did not choose me, but I chose you ... Ephesians 1:4-5 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us[b] for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, Ephesians 1:11 says, In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will. These verses paint a picture, tell a story, of God's choosing, of His plan, His salvation. All of life on earth can be summed up in a few short words, 'because it pleased God to do so." You are trying to take something that isn't logical and apply logic to it. It was never logical to believe in an all-knowing, all-powerful, Being to begin with. It's not logical to consider heaven or hell. It's not logical to believe that one can be 'saved' from any punishment because a Man claiming to be God, in the form of God's son (think of that one logically) died for sins we committed as well as the unlogical application of some long dead man's sins that we never came close to being responsible. Logic and Scripture run counterintuitive to each other. Everything about God and Christ go against man's logic. We can not take our fallible man's logic and apply it to God. We must take God's infallible ways and apply them to man. Just as I write this response as I choose to do so, God rules His creation as He chooses to do so. You attempting to use men's logic, yours and Owens, to apply it to sin and the atonement. We must instead believe as little children, no reasoning, no logic. Hebrews 11:1 says, Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. We must accept in faith. Believe in faith. A small child accepts that a chicken is a chicken because their parents say so. They believe a spider will bite them because their parent tells them it will. We must be as little children, coming to Christ with an open mind and heart, accepting what is unacceptable out of faith because the Lord's word tells us it is so. Logic is not applicable to Scripture. We may look to His creation to see the hand of God, For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. Romans 1:20. We may look to creation to see the hand of God but we cannot apply our man-centered logic to His illogical ways. Big words and fancy definitions only make us feel like we know it all. The simplicity of Scripture can be processed through men's logical brains but logic only goes so far then our hearts must leap in faith. You are attempting to take the miracle that is Christ and His atonement and apply it to mankind through logic. 1) Christ died for original sin.
2) All men have the guilt of original sin.
3) Therefore, Christ died for one of the sins of all men, namely their original sin. The long answer, no silence, no "foolishness", is that Christ died for the sins of His chosen people. Someone above said a high Calvinist will try to say He died for the elect. That is correct. God chose His people before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4, 11), predestining them to belong to Him. Christ said, I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours. John 17:9. It doesn't get any plainer than that. He came not for the world, not for all of mankind, but for His people. "I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me". In John 6:37 He says, "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out." Christ speaks, time and again of a specific people. Yes, Christ died for original sin but He did not die only for original sin, nor did He die for the sin or sins (in any form) of all people. He died for the sins, imputed or actual, of His chosen people. Your second logical, and Scriptural, point is: all men have the guilt of original sin. That is correct. Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me, Psalm 51:5. Also Romans 5:12, Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned. We are all guilty of original sin, something that defies logic. How can people be guilty of something because someone long gone disobeyed God? Only by faith does it make sense. Although one could apply the logic that becasue Adam sinned, sin entered the world, and thereby was there when we came along but that does create the logical following that I, you, or anyone else, would necessarily sin ourselves. Sin was spread across all mankind, like some kind of hideous disease, when Adam committed the first sin and we are held held guilty before our holy, illogical, God for the guilt of one man, being conceived with that sin. There's no logic there. It does not make sense. Only through faith can we accept the unacceptable. Your third point, Therefore, Christ died for one of the sins of all men, namely their original sin. No, Christ, as He plainly stated in His own words in John 17:9, said "I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me." He came to die for His chosen people. In dying for them, He died for their original sins and their actual sins, He died to wash them clean of iniquities and evilness before an all Holy God that requires payment for sin. But it wasn't for the original sin of all mankind that Christ died. It was for the original sin of the people He chose before the foundation of the world to belong to Him, the one's He picked, or elected, to give, or predestine, salvation. It's a limited atonement, applying only to those that God chooses to apply it to. Which is the long way around your friends answer of 'foolishness'  .

While I was writing out that reply, which I accidentally posted the first little bit, about me criticizing someone else's living room before I had finished writing the rest of it, I got a reply saying high Calvinists were welcome in the group but hyper Calvinists were not and that I was welcome to criticize the paint and the furniture. I had to smile at that one. At least they were good sports. I thanked them for that too and told them I would refrain from commenting on the carpet but the furniture was worn and the walls could use a fresh coat of paint.

And then I came here to write this because...well, because I thought I would follow up on yesterdays post.

16 comments:

  1. You have more patience that Job!! I would have left that crazy forum long before you choose to.
    Where is the term 'original sin' found in the Bible? It's origin is from Augustine. Yes, we all have the same sin nature as Adam, but,to state Christ died for original sin cannot be supported by God's word. Wouldn't unbelief fall under that category? Did Christ die for the sin of unbelief? If He did, hell would be emptied wouldn't it?
    Their claims are a bit universal aren't they? It's interesting how fallen mankind has a 'label' for just about everything, and if you do NOT fit in with their brand of religion, then they put you in one of these camps.
    Trying to follow their reasoning is indeed head spinning. Those types of forums are ones I would not spend too much time on, for obvious reasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband says the same thing about head spinning. He says to tell you, 'my wife gets me into these conversations'. We came to the same universalist conclusion the first day I was in that forum. We have been discussing the very same things that you brought up. My husband verbally threw his hands in the air and said he is finished with this (several times, in fact) then this afternoon he retired to bed for a nap. I thought he had been long asleep when he came back into the living room, Bible in hand, to discuss the most recent comment on what I wrote. I have now had two more replies. My husband says to tell you, 'there may be another post because they've done got my husband disturbed again while he was trying to rest' :D. We shall see where the Lord takes this rabbit trail in our lives. They do indeed make one's head spin. The most recent comment said, "I think we would all agree on not placing any man's writings above scripture.

      1 Jn. is speaking about the indwelling of the Spirit, which we all are given when we believe. The having no need to be taught is speaking about the intermediary prophets and teachers that were necessary under the Old Covenant because they were not all given the indwelling Spirit, nor was it always continual. Under the New Covenant we still have teachers, pastors, and the like, given to the church. But they do not have that same intermediary function.

      I have read Pink's book... and Packer's Knowing God. They are the ones most of us Calvinists begin with after coming out of Arminianism. It is unfortunate because it starts us off on the wrong foot. That is what ______ was addressing in his other post about broadening the reading on this topic.RL Dabney's 5 points should be required reading for Calvinists right off the bat."

      My husband and I agree that more mature Christians should be teachers and leaders but not in the sense that those in this group seem to hold to.

      Delete
    2. Here's the latest comment, Lyn. I thought you might want to join me in pondering this one for a bit.

      I don't have time now to respond to what has been written above, but I have browsed much of it. On Pink's "Calvinism," beware. Pink denied that God in any sense loves the non-elect. That is far outside of mainstream Reformed and Calvinistic thought.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you and your hubby, mature Christians should be teachers and leaders.
    Titus 2 lays out sound instruction-

    But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine{ Let me add this, put the emphasis on SOUND DOCTRINE, as it is found in God's word!}: That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.
    The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

    Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded. In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.

    Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again; Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.


    Now, I have been blessed by many of the writings of A.W. Pink. However, I do NOT agree with everything he says. We must always compare all things to God's word, for THAT is the standard and the ONLY standard for truth. Men are fallible creatures, God is not. The Spirit of God IS the teacher of God's elect, yes, God uses the writings of godly men to help us along, but never should those writings be held to the same level as the bible. That is where many in the reformed camp fail, they hold in high esteem the writings of Calvin, Luther, etc. Granted, many good things have come from those writings, but in the end, they are but the writings of men.

    Here is a worthy quote from Pink -
    "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers." This applies first to our religious connections. How many Christians are members of so-called "churches," where much is going on which they know is at direct variance with the Word of God—either the teaching from the pulpit, the worldly attractions used to draw the ungodly, and the worldly methods employed to finance it, or the constant receiving into its membership of those who give no evidence of having been born again. Believers in Christ who remain in such "churches" are dishonoring their Lord. Should they answer: "Practically all the churches are the same, and were we to resign, what would we do? We must go somewhere on Sundays!" Such language would show they are putting their own interests, before the glory of Christ. It is better to stay at home and read God's Word—than fellowship with that which His Word condemns!" - I think the last line speaks volumes

    Satan is using 'reformed theology' to confuse and cause division. God never stated we must hold dear to Reformed theology, rather, it is Bible-based theology we must adhere to, and the One who keeps us in all truth is Christ Himself! He is the Head of His church, not Calvin, or Luther, or Owen, or Augustine,etc. Calvin and the like are to reformed theology what the pope is to Roman Catholicism.
    Reformed theology never really broke completely from Rome, many still hold to infant baptism, and calling Sunday the 'Sabbath'. That's just a couple of things that come to mind, I know Calvin held to infant baptism, which is a grave error.

    Sorry for the long winded response! I pray you and your hubby will stand your ground for His truth, and that God will lead you and give you words to speak. You are tangling with what I would call the greatest deception used by Satan - reformed theology! It is so-o-o-o subtle and so deceiving isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lyn. Long winded responses are always welcome. As my husband tells me fairly often, I am long winded also. I happen to like long winded so feel free to leave long winded comments anytime you like. I do so enjoy your comments. My husband and I would both agree with you on who should be teaching and in what context. We do not believe in 'churches' or in Churchianity, be it armenian or Reformed. Men that make a living off the gospel are peddling Christ and are profiting financially from what is freely given to all. As a general rule we have also seen that preacher, or anyone that makes a living off the Gospel, tend to twist at least some of Scripture to suit the needs, which are to make others believe they need a preacher in the first place and that it is the followers that must financially support the preacher (among other erroneous things seen in 'church' no matter their doctrines). You have given me much to think on here. I am, for the moment anyway, unequally yoked with this group. I do not intend to stay in it and have refrained from commenting further. So far anyway. I have a tendency to let my thoughts flow out through my fingertips, sometimes without fully intending to. I may or may not post a 'thank you for putting up with me, I'm leaving now' post on the comments section of the posts I replied to. Just for the sake of friendliness. This group is twisting Scripture so much that I don't quite understand how they can be called Reformed. On that note, I am sure I will respond to your comment again later. For now I want to give you a quick thank you and to say that as I read your comment I realized that my description of myself on this blog refers to me as a Reformed believer. I will be thinking on that one, among other things you wrote here. We all must somehow identify ourselves and others through man made words so that we all understand what camp we fall into but even at that, my description of myself is that I am Reformed and having tangled with this new, to me anyway, sect of Reformed believers I am left wondering if my description of myself needs to be changed. Hmm...

      Delete
  3. Oh boy, IF God loves everybody, then Esau got shafted didn't he? This is nothing more than universalism disguised as 'Calvinistic'.
    From 1 John 4, We love because He first loved us. Who are the 'us' John is referring to? He is addressing believers.
    I know the 'go to' verse is John 3:16, for God so loved the 'world'. Again, who was Christ addressing? He was speaking to Nicodemus, a high profile religious Jew. The Jews saw God as the God of the Jews ONLY, thus, Christ states God loved the world in this way, the world being both Jew AND Gentile, and not every person ever born.
    Look at Psalm 5:5,The boastful cannot stand in Your presence; You hate all workers of iniquity.
    We have a problem with the 'God of love' don't we? He 'hates all workers of iniquity'.

    This 'God of love' is the end time 'god' that will be used by Satan to fuse all dead religions together, and it's working. I read a story recently where the Pope told a homosexual God loves him. God has MERCY on all, but that isn't the same as loving all. I have yet to get an answer from the universalists as to why this 'God' who loves everyone could allow them to perish in their sins. How many in hell even as we speak must be outraged because after all, some idiot told them God loved them and yet, they are in hell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful reply, Lyn. May I invite you to come add your .02 to the conversation I stuck myself into? We could both be unequally yoked for a bit. Then again, it's best we both just steer clear of it all. On the other hand, my entanglement with this group brought about these conversations with you so it's not all bad. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I do so appreciate it. God love you does seem to be a common theme running through so many belief systems. I can understand. It's much easier to swallow the great lie that God loves everybody and forgives all sins no matter how many time one returns to wallow in them than it is to believe that God hates everyone except those He chooses to elect. It would be even worse to understand that and to look at yourself and know without any doubt that you were not one of the elect. I can only imagine the agony such knowledge would bring. That does not change the lies being fed to so many though and the twisting and misuse of Scripture. The deluded and blinded only teach what they think they know, leading the blind with the same lies they were taught. One after another, the blind leading the blind. But the Lord allows it for a reason and possibly uses it to restrain reprobates that were never meant to be regenerate, their evil hearts requiring the staying hand of the Lord to keep them in check on this earth. We will never know the answer. The Lord knows those that are His, regardless of where they fall in the 'Christian' or Christian belief. I am grateful to not have to be the one sorting them out.

      Delete
    2. P.S. I love how you put it...Esau got shafted. Jacob and Esau are my greatest argument when the need to speak of God loving some and not others comes up. Not that it ever really gets too far with people that don't believe Bible based Christianity.

      Still thinking on that Reformed title here...maybe we should use the description for ekklessia-the called out ones. That does make us sound like a cult, doesn't it. Then again, I was recently informed my husband and I are a cult. I disputed that only to look up the definition and discover it not longer means what it used to. Amazing how descriptions of all kinds change with the times and the mindset of the people using them.

      Delete
  4. Good responses sister. Yes, we are the 'called out ones'. Adding more to that really isn't wise is it? Many have made idols out of Calvin and reformed theology, to their shame.


    I wouldn't mind joining you in the forum IF you need me to. May the Lord guide us concerning the matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't need you to join me, Lyn, I'm about to leave the group. I do thank you for being willing to. If I was going to try to stick it out there I would appreciate the back up. I see no reason to stay though. I would have already left if I hadn't done what amounts to starting a conversation. It would be rude to walk away in the middle of it. And mostly I replied for those lurkers, just because there needs to be Truth somewhere. Well, that and because my husband told me to reply because he couldn't wrap his mind around their thoughts. :D

      Delete
    2. I agree. It's really not wise to call ourselves anything that Scripture doesn't refer to us as, which would include Reformed, and certainly not Calvinist, as that aligns us with a man and not Christ. Christian might be a good title if it wasn't applied to every person that holds to any kind of belief in 'Jesus'. But that title is still man given and no longer means much of anything anyway. Based off Scripture there aren't a whole lot of titles for what boils down to God's chosen people. We have:
      Ekklessia
      The called out ones
      The Way
      God's chosen people/ones
      Israel (in a sense anyway)
      the elect
      the remnant

      And...am I missing anything?

      Delete
  5. Let me add this, it's been my experience that people like the ones you are dealing with are set in their ways. They have NO interest in truth, they want to argue to 'win'. It's a pride thing, their ears are closed and their minds are made up. Their goal is to persuade others they are wrong and get on board with the views being trotted out as 'truth'.
    God turns many over to error as part of His judgment. I often think it's best at times to simply walk away and pray for that person[s] rather than waste time giving truth that falls on deaf ears and hard hearts - just my thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has been my experience too. My husband and I both feel that is what these people, for the most part anyway, are doing. They are stuck in their teachings of men, their churchianity, and their own ideals and they do not want to hear truth. Not only that but there seems to be no small amount of pride in their statements on how they are right and what they call high Calvinists are wrong. I wanted to point out that the person posting that 3 step logical conclusion seemed to be very proud of the fact that they had 'stumped' the high Calvinist. I refrained, though, because I was 'playing' in their 'house'. It didn't seem right to point out the pride in their statements. And it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Scripture is falling on deaf ears. They are believing a lie and not only do they not believe the Truth, they don't want it. The Lord has given them their false beliefs and satisfied their hearts, minds, and pride, with them. I probably would have been best served to walk away but...we didn't. And now here we are. As of yet, there have been no more replies or comments to what I said. If it stays that way through all of today, I will post a quick little, thank you for listening to me, I'm leaving now, kind of goodbye and I will leave them with their delusions. No sense throwing pearls before swine.

      Delete
  6. Good response...yep, it's all about them 'winning the argument'. It takes true humility to walk away and stop casting pearls. The wise in Christ will do just that - to God be all glory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sister,

    I'm not sure if you are familiar with the blog 'the Gospel Coalition', it is wildly popular among the 'reformed' and 'calvinistic' groups.
    I put together this piece, I thought you might be interested - https://iamhis-lyn.blogspot.com/2018/05/homosexualitythe-tie-that-bands.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lyn. I enjoyed reading your post. I have only a passing acquaintance with TGC, my husband knows more than I do. As a rule I try to stick to Scripture and not the teachings of men, those of today or from history. I might even steer a bit clearer of today's so-called preacher, teachers, and leaders because even if they hold to the same beliefs I do they often tend to be just as churchianitied as Armenians do. They promote things not in Scripture to keep their 'organization', 'church', 'ministry', or whatever other business they use Christ to peddle their wares and line their pockets. I do not support those things and I sure don't want them influencing my understanding of Scripture.

      I agree with you. Anyone promoting sin in any way should not be supported. If they are lost people, leading the blind through their own blindness that is one thing but when they claim to be 'reformed' and are able to see the majority, if not all, of the Truth then they are in deep error and as Paul says, 'if any man brings a different doctrine than the one I gave, let them be accursed'. We should not yoke ourselves with anyone that does not hold to the teachings of Scripture in all things.

      Delete