Sunday, November 4, 2018

The teachings of men, part 22....The Lord knows who are His.

I almost hesitate to write this. I've learned a great deal in the study of the teachings of men. One of the main things I have learned along the way is that we should not turn to men for any learning on our Lord. Ever.

Yes, I know it's edifying to read another believers writings. I know that sometimes someone can give us insight into Scripture that we seem to be unable to grasp. BUT...what insight do we gain? Do we gain Truth from Scripture or do we gain someone else's understanding of what the Truth in Scripture is?

I have a relative that is deep into the 'church' system. This relative is teaching classes and devoting a great deal of time to their 'church', so much so that they have told me they have little time for anything else.

That does not come as a surprise to me. From experience, it seems to be the nature of 'churches' in general. If someone gives them an inch, in time or money, they demand ten miles. They aren't happy to have you work in the nursery once a month, they want you in there every Sunday and Wednesday night. Oh, and by the way, we're having Bible studies on Tuesdays and Thursdays and we need you in the nursery then too. And there's the Fall Festival coming up and we will need you in there that night so others can work the festival. And then there's the Thanksgiving banquet and the kitchen people need nursery care, could you possibly work then? How about every Saturday in December so those in the Christmas pageant can practice? Oh, and one more thing? Would you work the nursery on the night of the pageant?

And on, and on, it goes. I do realize that may possibly be a slight exageration and that not everyone works in the nursery but the way the 'church' uses those willing to 'help' is astonishing.

That is what my relative has happily found themselves in the midst of. They started out teaching one class. One class. The next thing they knew they are visiting the sick and elderly in their homes, studying for the two classes they now teach, mentoring others in the Bible and having to study books on the Bible to do so.

When does it end?

And when do men's opinions on Scripture end and Truth reign?

Which is why I hesitate to write this. I have even wondered if my very own blog is not part of the problem and not the solution. I have had to do some deep praying and thinking on this one. Should I keep writing these blog posts? Should I stop? Am I just one more rattling person giving my opinions on Scripture and causing more harm than good?

The conclusion I have finally come to is that I did not start this blog with the intention of teaching anyone anything. I started it with the intention of recording my own learnings and observations where Scripture is concerned so that my husband can share in all my Scripture studies that may take place without him being present.  I still write it for that very purpose.


And so I have decided to continue just as I have been but it is with those thoughts in my head that I sit down to write this post.

As I have stated before I am not against Arminians. I firmly believe we should thank the Lord for them. They keep Christ in the limelight, so to speak, spreading Him far and wide. They have ensured that it is impossible to grow up in America without hearing the name of Jesus. They have taken Christianity from a hated, and death sentence enducing belief, to an accepted and nearly embraced one. The elect are allowed to live out their faith in peace because the professing believers are many and have taken Christianity to the level where no one is out to kill the person that claims Christ.

And in that Arminian system are many evil reprobates that are restrained through the Lord's hand. And what system is it likely He is using. The Arminian Church system.

Thank you, Lord, for this kind favor. For this deeply embraced and held belief system that gives us some restraint in an otherwise viciously evil world.

Those learning false Scripture in a false system may one day find themselves in hell, sent there by a holy God, but they will not find themselves there because they went to a 'church' or because they were Armenian. They will find themselves there because in that time, before the earth was formed, when God picked out His chosen ones, those poor souls were not chosen. They were passed over for some reason known only to the Lord.

We cannot share Jesus and save them as the Arminians believe we can. Nor can we share the Truth of Scripture and save them as some that believe themselves to be the elect think we can. Every soul that will ever be will either be elect or not. There is nothing we can do about it. Arminianism will not send them to hell. Truth will not save them.

They are God's people. Romans 9 says:

I am speaking the truth in Christ—I am not lying; my conscience bears me witness in the Holy Spirit—that I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers,[a] my kinsmen according to the flesh. They are Israelites, and to them belong the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises. To them belong the patriarchs, and from their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ, who is God over all, blessed forever. Amen.
But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but “Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.” This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring. For this is what the promise said: “About this time next year I will return, and Sarah shall have a son.” 10 And not only so, but also when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac, 11 though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls— 12 she was told, “The older will serve the younger.” 13 As it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”
14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion,[b] but on God, who has mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.
19 You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” 20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?”21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? 22 What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory— 24 even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles? 25 As indeed he says in Hosea,
“Those who were not my people I will call ‘my people,’
    and her who was not beloved I will call ‘beloved.’”
26 “And in the very place where it was said to them, ‘You are not my people,’
    there they will be called ‘sons of the living God.’”
27 And Isaiah cries out concerning Israel: “Though the number of the sons of Israel[c] be as the sand of the sea, only a remnant of them will be saved, 28 for the Lord will carry out his sentence upon the earth fully and without delay.” 29 And as Isaiah predicted,
“If the Lord of hosts had not left us offspring,
    we would have been like Sodom
    and become like Gomorrah.”

Israel's Unbelief

30 What shall we say, then? That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith; 31 but that Israel who pursued a law that would lead to righteousness[d] did not succeed in reaching that law. 32 Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone, 33 as it is written,
“Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense;
    and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”

The Lord has made some vessels for glory and some for destruction. We cannot snatch those fit for destruction out of hell simply because we share Scripture with them. We cannot wipe Arminianism out of the world and have the only Gospel given be that of the pure Truth straight from Scripture Gospel. The Lord has allowed the 'come as you are, Jesus loves you' gospel to spread and to convert many to it's beliefs. 

And you know what? 

They are professing a belief in Christ. That's enough for me. I will leave them to their faith and their deeply emotional beliefs. I will embrace them and appreciate them for what they are because they are not responsible for the condition of their soul. The Lord placed them on this earth and He placed them in their beliefs. Maybe they are His. Maybe they are not. I do not know and I do not want to be the one to make that call. 

I can say that if I were picking and choosing who goes to heaven and who does not, I would choose the loving Arminian over the hard hearted 'elect' any day. I would usher those lovingly sharing Jesus into heaven long before I would allow the hateful 'elect' in. But that's just me and I am not the Lord. Thankfully, so.

All I know is that we can't both be right. Either we have free will or it's all God's will. Either we are in control or He is. There is no middle ground for that although I know there are those that believe their is, something about God being all powerful and all controlling using His control to give us the free will to choose Him or to turn away. I do not see it that way. I see free will as being God having no control. He has chosen His people, Ephesians 1, and they are His whether they chose Him or not. 

And somewhere in all that come all the differing belief systems, including the Armenian Christian belief, and all I know to say is...

The Lord knows who are His.


8 comments:

  1. Sister,

    It saddens me to read you are not against Arminians, who teach and believe falsely. How can you not be angered by their false gospel? How can you not be angered that this very gospel deceives and leads multitudes down the broad road? Their teachings are the teachings of men,which you rail against!
    Do you know why the world doesn't resist are hate the Arminians? Because their gospel is NOT offensive, it is a 'Jesus loves you' and just 'invite Him into your heart'. It doesn't pierce the heart, nor convict the sinner. It's fluffy and non-offensive. You thank God for that? Do you really believe God is using this false system in a good way? Rather, isn't He using it as a strong delusion to those who refuse to love the truth? That is not a good thing at all.

    This statement from you is bothersome as well, "They are professing a belief in Christ. That's enough for me. I will leave them to their faith and their deeply emotional beliefs. I will embrace them and appreciate them for what they are because they are not responsible for the condition of their soul." With that mindset, anyone who professes Christ is okay with you? As for responsibility, ALL are responsible for what they believe, regardless of God's electing some and leaving others. ALL are accountable before God!! Let us never state otherwise.

    Your entire post seems contradictory, on one hand you speak against the free will religion, then you embrace it and would choose to save them over the hard hearted 'elect'. It saddens me that you are letting your emotions cloud your thinking. What does God hate? False religion!! Look at His words to the Pharisees, 'brood of vipers', 'serpents', 'hypocrites', 'blind guides' - from Matthew 23. If Christ hates false religion, how is it you are okay with it?

    It is your kind of mindset that has caused this false religion to flourish even in this late hour. May the Lord cause your zeal for truth to increase, and your hatred for lies and false religion to increase as well. We simply cannot straddle the fence on this matter, nor can we choose lies over anything just because they are so 'loving'. Stop using your emotions and allow truth to rule and reign....for Christ's sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lyn, Thank you for your comment and your opinions. I'm afraid you may have misunderstood. I did not write this post out of emotion but out of the insight that came from a very deep, months long, Scripture study that my husband and I have been doing. Rather than writing from emotions, I wrote from the things I learned from looking to the examples of the Apostles. Have you studied the lives of the Apostles? Have you noticed how they acted toward all professing believers? Yes, Christ spoke against the Pharisee's. He called them all manner of names but He is Christ. I am not. All I know is that it appears the Apostles have left us a wonderful example of how we should act when encountering anyone that professes Christ, and that is to accept them for what they claim to be until they prove they are false believers, if we will only set aside all teachings of men.

      If I have contradicted myself in any way, I did not mean to. I am in no way saying we should promote Arminianism. What I'm saying is that the Lord, as referred to in Scripture, says He will send a great delusion. I see Arminianism as that delusion. And I can say from experience that no matter how deep your roots go in Armenianism, I come from a long line of preachers, that one can be pulled from that delusion should the Lord so choose to do so. That delusion is no worse, and maybe not as bad, as some other religions. At least the name of Jesus is spread in Arminianism belief systems.

      May I ask you something? Do you believe the Lord is Sovereign? Do you believe He controls all? Do you believe He has determined who will be given salvation? If so how does your opposition and near hatred of Arminians factor into that?

      If they must be under a delusion, and Scripture says they must, then what delusion would be preferable? The kind the Roman Catholics once held to? Where Christians were killed for their faith? Islam where Christians are killed for their faith? The kind held during the Inquisition? or...?

      Delete
    2. You asked how I can not be saddened and angered by the Arminian belief. I ask, how can you not be grateful for it?

      I am deeply saddened by it because it does keep so many in the dark. I have had too many encounters with Arminians that will not hear a word of Truth because they are so certain that they are saved and all because they said a prayer. That is deeply heart rending but there is no cause for anger on my part. The poor souls that are under that delusion are under it because the Lord put them there. All I can do is show them love, give them the Gospel according to Scripture, and pray for their souls. Should the Lord have intent of saving them He will do so and should He have never put their name in His book of life than no amount of anger or shunning of their system on my part will save them?

      Would it be better to tell those that are lost that, per Romans 9, if they are reprobates then there is no hope for them? Yes, if pushed deep enough into Scripture I will tell them that but that's only after I have shared more basic Truth's with them. What sort of world would we live in if everyone that could not see the full Truth of Scripture was walking around seeing and knowing there was little hope for them? What reason would they have to not give in to their evil thoughts and desires?

      And why would we, mere people...as Scripture says, "Who are you, o man"...to take such an aversion to a system the Lord has in place? And how can we deem which system is the one that is worse than any other? The Lord has placed all things here for His glory. Who am I to speak against them except in a take note kind of way, to point out the error but to also show gratitude for the work of my Lord?

      Delete
    3. I am a firm believer that the Lord has appointed salvation to those He chose to do so, Ephesians 1. This salvation was given prior to the foundation of the world and there is NOTHING anyone can do to change their eternal destination. Regardless of our own guilt before God, and yes, we are all guilty before our holy God, our salvation is in His hands and not ours. John 6:65 says...

      And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it be given unto him of my Father.

      If we are to believe that Arminianism can cost a person their place in heaven, then what are we to make of verses like the one above? Likewise, of Romans 9:18-23...

      Therefore he hath mercy on whom he [ah]will, and whom he will he hardeneth.
      19 [ai]Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet complain? for who hath resisted his will?
      20 [aj]But, O man, who art thou which pleadest against God? [ak]shall the thing [al]formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
      21 [am]Hath not the potter power of the clay to make of the same lump one [an]vessel to [ao]honor, and another unto [ap]dishonor?
      22 [aq]What and if God would, to show his wrath, and to make his power known, suffer with long patience the [ar]vessels of wrath, prepared to [as]destruction?
      23 And that he might declare the [at]riches of his glory upon the vessels of mercy, which he hath prepared unto glory?

      If we are to think that Arminianism should in any way cost a person their salvation, because they believe a lie, than we must discount Scripture to do so.

      Delete
    4. I am not in the habit of promoting any man's writings or teachings as I believe we should look only to Scripture to form our understandings of our Lord and His Word but in this case I will share the words of another.

      Spurgeon's Gracious Opinion of John Wesley

      You know, brethren, that there is no soul living who holds more firmly to the doctrines of grace than I do, and if any man asks me whether I am ashamed to be called a Calvinist, I answer, I wish to be called nothing but a Christian; but if you ask me, do I hold the doctrinal views which were held by John Calvin, I reply, I do in the main hold them, and rejoice to avow it. But, my dear friends, far be it from me even to imagine that Zion contains none within her walls but Calvinistic Christians, or that there are none saved who do not hold our views. Most atrocious things have been spoken about the character and spiritual condition of John Wesley, the modern prince of Arminians. I can only say concerning him, that while I detest many of the doctrines which he preached, yet for the man himself, I have a reverence second to no Wesleyan; and if there were wanted two apostles to be added to the number of the twelve, I do not believe that there could be found two men more fit to be so added than George Whitfield and John Wesley. The character of John Wesley stands beyond all imputation for self-sacrifice, zeal, holiness, and communion with God; he lived far above the ordinary level of common Christians, and was one of whom the world was not worthy. I believe there are multitudes of men who cannot see these truths, or, at least, cannot see them in the way in which we put them, who nevertheless have received Christ into their hearts, and are as dear to the heart of the God of grace as the soundest Calvinist out of heaven.

      - C. H. Spurgeon

      I am inclined to agree with all he says there except for his ushering Whitefield and Wesley into heaven. I do not believe any person has the ability to say who is or is not in heaven, or who will be or will not be there. That is for the Lord to decide and nothing we ever witness here on earth can give us the ability to know for certain the eternal condition of anyone.

      If my mindset, that of lovingly accepting what the Lord has put in place, make me in error than I am not in error alone as at least one highly regarded man of Truth has taken the same stance.

      Delete
  2. "The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved." 2 Thessalonians 2:9-10. God's ways are higher than our ways, His thoughts are higher than our thoughts, and for that, we should be ever so thankful to Him! "By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for another." John 13:35.
    Dearest friend, I thank you for your article, even though you know where my heart is. God wants us to trust Him. His simple Truth, with a childlike faith, and love for one another. Remember, it was primarily the (as you call them) Arminians that were the martyrs of Christ. I am not of the belief that one must be Calvinist or Arminian. God's Word is Truth, man's opinions are simply that, opinions. I do, however, agree with much of your article.
    Dear Lyn, I fear that you are acting out of a judgement that you have little understanding of. Your words are quite harsh and lack fruit in their purpose. I encourage you to open your heart and have a love for the Truth, while letting your strong opinions die. Take up your cross daily and deny yourself. For Christ's sake... It is a hateful mindset that has allowed such darkness and strong delusions to take hold, but as was written in the original article, 'The Lord knows who are His!' Notice in the above Scripture, Satan has a counterfeit for Truth, with his false signs and wonders.
    May the Lord bless you, as you seek Him with your whole heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,

      Thank you for your comment. I very much appreciate it. While your views are different than mine in certain areas you are certainly welcome to express them here. We both hold a belief in Christ and that is what is important.

      I very much appreciate the love through which you responded to someone holding to differing views than you hold. It says much for you.

      While I must differ with you on your opinion of Arminianism and Calvinism. I do believe that the belief in free will is the line that will divide those believing in Christ. The terms Arminian and Calvinist are simply man-made terms to describe whether one believes in free will or not. There is no erasing that simple fact no matter what term one applies to it. A believer in Scripture either believes in free will, and is therefore, by default, an Arminian, or they do not believe in free will and are therefore, also by default, a Calvinist. I do share your opinion that there is so much more to Christ and Scripture than free will or no free will, I must hold to the very real line that is drawn in the sand by the very nature of man's free will, or man does not have free will.

      As for martyr's. I am aware that many 'Arminians' have been martyred for their faith. However, being a martyr does not make one born again. Nor does it ensure that they held to a saving faith in Christ. It simply means that they believed strongly enough in what they believed in to die for it. Many in the Islamic religion do the same thing. That does not make them born again Christian's at their death.

      May the Lord also bless you as we both seek Him with our whole heart.

      Delete
  3. Lyn,

    Thank you for taking the time to leave three comments on this post. I know doing so takes time for you and I always appreciate it. In one of your comments you said, 'you do not have to publish this comment'. In all honesty, I never have to publish any comments. This blog is mine to do with as I please, to write what is on my heart, to publish comments or not as I see fit. It is much like your living room is yours to furnish as you wish. It would be wrong for me to come to your home and tell you how to furnish it or to show disdain for your chosen furniture. And so, because this is my blog, I am choosing not to publish any of the comments you recently left on this post.

    I cannot publish one of them as it is little more than a link to sermonaudio regarding what you addressed 'to all who look down their noses at Calvinists'. While I do not support the idea that one can disregard another's faith simply because they might be lumped under the man-made term of 'Calvinist'. I also cannot support the using of what is nothing more than the teachings of fallen men for the correction of any errors, be they right or wrong. All correction should come only through Scripture and you merely linked me, and my readers, to what amounts to someone that holds to the same stance that you do. And so I will not be publishing that link.

    As for the other two comments, you showed no love or kindness to either myself or Susan simply because we dare to hold to different opinions or beliefs than you do.

    While I have always appreciated your comments and conversation, this set of comments too, I cannot publish them when they lack in kindness and more importantly they show no love for your fellow believers in Christ, no matter what our beliefs are.

    You have recently taken an anti-arminian stance that seems to be bordering on near persecution for those that dare to hold a different belief than you do. It is as if you are 'out to get them' and you will stop at nothing short of totally destroying them. These opinions have shown in your comments on my blog as well as posts and comments on your own blog. And in both places love is growing less and less in all you say.

    While you are free to do as you wish on your blog, and you are certainly free to never visit mine, I will not be publishing any comments on my blog that are left here by you or those that contribute to your blog so long as you are lost in the unloving stance you have taken.

    ReplyDelete