Sunday, August 28, 2016

Cutesy 'Christianity'

Several years ago I had a friend that told me she believed the majority of things sold in 'Christian' bookstores should be burned. When she told me that I was literally shocked. I've long enjoyed books and well, I just couldn't bring myself to think the way she did. I still can't.

I am well aware of the false teachings, twisted Scripture, fantasy that shouldn't be labeled as Christian, and outright lies that go into some of the so-called Christian books. And I would agree that there is much being sold in 'Christian' bookstores that truly may be, and probably is, more damaging to a person than any secular book ever could be and without a doubt, every last one of those should be burned. But I can't bring myself, even now, to believe that most all books being labeled as Christian should be burned.

I thought of that long ago conversation this morning because of several things that have happened lately. I recently had someone, someone that would call themselves a Christian, same as I do, comment on one of my blogs lately. This person left numerous comments, refuting what I wrote, and correcting me, or trying to. I truly appreciated every one of those comments. I enjoyed engaging in conversation, if you can call it that, with one of my readers, and I enjoyed the chance to test my own beliefs, but I also came away from that conversation with a different perspective than I went into it.

From that ongoing conversation, and from others I've had with other people in the past, it amazes me that anyone can believe so strongly in something that isn't in Scripture. I know what Scripture says, I know they are blinded, I know they are veiled by the Lord, but it still amazes me.

The person that commented on my post corrected me, telling me that 'Calvinism' is heresy, and seemed to be outright hostile to anyone holding any belief that could even remotely be considered Calvinism. But that isn't the first time I've encountered someone that believed that way, and I doubt it will be the last. And honestly, at least they do believe in Christ. That is, at least, a start. I don't have a clue where someone believing in Christ but also believing in heresy might fall into the Lord's elect and I'm content to leave them in His hands and not worry myself too much over it, beyond the need to correct them.

But...there are so many sides to being a 'Christian' in modern America. And I really am grateful for everyone of those sides. I think. Some of them have very anti-Scriptural beliefs, and a good many of them use a label, Christian, that does not fit who and what they really are, and in the process they make true Christians look bad.

They go around living a life that is against Scripture while claiming to be 'Chrisitian' or else they live a life of such works righteousness that they show the world you must strive hard to attain salvation when Scripture says none of that is worth anything. In fact it says that those works are nothing but filthy rags and that the person striving for salvation is nothing but white washed tombs while inside they are dead mans bones.

How much plainer could Scripture be?

The person that told me most of what is in 'Christian' bookstores should be burned knows Scripture, at least they know it through the filter through which they approach it. They understand all of Scripture through preconceived ideas of what Scripture teaches and they gain from Scripture twisted teachings that support their beliefs as opposed to understanding what Scripture actually says. That pains me, it grieves me, it hurts my heart. I have tried pointing this person to the Truth of Scripture in the past but I cannot get them past those preconceived ideas, to what is really written in Scripture. Which really isn't surprising. Most people are that way. I personally believe the single most dangerous thing about the 'salvation prayer' is the false sense of security it gives people because they put all their faith in that prayer, trust in its ability to save them, and then will not listen to the true way to salvation according to Scripture because they have been assured, usually by a preacher, almost always by other 'Christians', that they have been 'saved' and will go to heaven when they die.

A number of years ago I wrote Christian fiction. I was never published but I had hopes of being published. As a result of that I made friends in the 'Christian' writing world. Today I often shake my head in wonder at the beliefs of some of the writers turning out things that are labeled as 'Christian' and sold to anyone willing to buy the book because of the label it holds.

I well remember when I had no clue of what theology meant, when I bought 'Christian' books because they were 'Christian' and therefore they must be safe to read and might teach a few biblical things along the way. How wrong I was. I once spent lots of money buying a library of Mennonite books for my children because I thought they would be good clean books that would influence my children to nothing but Christ. While I can't say those books were the worst thing my children were ever exposed to, and since they went mostly unread it really didn't matter anyway, but those books, if they had been read, would have taught my children a system of works righteousness that isn't Scriptural.

At some point I came across a 'Christian' website that had an article on it that spoke of books. The author of that article talked of how a writers beliefs will infect the books they write and if our children read those books then our children are being taught about those beliefs. They gave examples of popular classic books. One had a seance in it, another taught magic, and still another some sort of religion was taught through nothing more than making a character that practiced that religion look appealing.  The author of the article told of how those things can influence our children, sometimes with no more than something they read and forgot and sometimes by getting them interested in something they had never been exposed to before. I had never considered any of those things until I read that article. After reading that article I started being a little more careful what I let my children be exposed to.

Later, as I dipped into the 'Christian' writing world, I began to see the truth in what that person had written in that article. I made friends with a 'Christian' author, one whose books I had read, and found out that she was Roman Catholic. I had no problems having her as a friend but I remember thinking that I wouldn't have read her books if I knew what she believed.

I still have friends that are 'Christian' writers and more and more it amazes me the things they believe. Most of them, no matter what denomination they prescribe to, believe in name-it and claim-it type of beliefs. Most of them wear the label of author before they wear the label of Christian. And so many of them buy into and promote a 'Christianity' that isn't the Christianity of Scripture, than they write those beliefs in their books and teach them to anyone that will read them.

In the case of fiction, their personal beliefs are generally limited, usually to having the main characters go to 'church', prayer before meals, and throw up a prayer when they get into trouble. But even that...teaches an easy believism type of 'Christianity'. In the case of non-fiction, though, there beliefs can be way more damaging.

Let's say I wanted to read a book on Christ. If I wanted something that would show me who Christ was as a man, the things He taught, and how He lived...I would be best served to pick up my Bible, or at the very least Crossway's The Gospels...but let's assume I wanted a book where someone else was explaining all these things to me. If I managed to get hold of a book where someone went to Scripture and detailed all that Christ did without adding to it or taking away from it then I might be well served to read that book but the chances of finding a book like that are pretty much nonexistent. Chances are I would get hold of a book about Christ written by a professing 'Christian' that approached Scripture with a veil firmly in place and wrote of a Christ that does not exist within the pages of Scripture. If I did not understand what Christ really was like before reading that book, and therefore be able to mentally, or literally, mark out all the false teachings it contained, I would be influenced by the beliefs of the author.

I write. It wasn't something I went looking to do. I sort of fell into it both when I wrote fiction and now as I write the posts that I place on the blog. I have no idea how I write the things I do. It is a gift and nothing of me. But even my own writing, although I write what I understand to be the Truth of Scripture, has the ability to influence people. I consider that to be a good thing. If someone believing in a false 'Christianity' reads any of what I write, maybe, just maybe, my writing will plant a seed within that person, a seed that the Lord might someday use to save them.

But there is another side to 'Christianity', one I've seen show up in 'Christian' writers and non-writers alike. It is the cutesy side.

I am currently working my way through the life of Paul, following his journeys, reading his letters as close to where he wrote them in those journeys as I can, and learning much about him. I can't help but think that he did not live out a cutesy 'Christian' life. His life was hard. He faced much, battled much both in the physical world and the spiritual one, and endured much for the sake of Christ. 

How many people today, people that go to 'church' every Sunday, people that teach Bible study, have prayer meetings, witness to others, and write 'Christian' books, endure anything for Christ? And how many of them live the cutesy 'Christian' life?

I've seen a good deal of what 'Christian' authors, and agents seem to rely on to get them through. I know one 'Christian' author that is into Bible journaling. I see nothing wrong with that. I write in my Bible. I take notes, highlight, even put my children's and grandchildren's hand prints in them. I have Bibles that I wouldn't mark in for anything and then I have the Bible that I bought specifically so I could write in it, and discovered I truly like that Bible. But I write all in that Bible. I take notes, write questions, even make little journal entries of where I was, why I was studying that passage, or what was going on in my life as I read that. I have nothing against Bible journaling. But this friend, is into the new fad called Bible journaling, and even that, I can't say is necessarily bad. It's just that I have seen pictures of this friends Bible. She takes one passage of Scripture, sometimes one verse, and draws all around it, adding stickers and whatever else strikes her fancy to that page, making a whole page of Scripture highlight one single verse. The rest of the page can't usually be read.

It's a cutesy type of thing that encourages the twisting of, and the picking apart of Scripture. President Lincoln had a Bible that is called the blank Bible. They call it that because he literally cut out all parts of Scripture that he did not like or agree with. That, to me, is what this friend does in her Bible journaling. She may not cut her Bible apart, she doesn't have to, she just colors over, paints over, and puts stickers over, the parts she doesn't find particularly important or interesting.

That is a form of cutesy 'Christianity' that has nothing to do with true Christianity. And it's only the tip of the ice berg.

Professing 'Christianity' in a lot of ways has been redefined to fit social media. Like this and God will bless you. Share this and God will fix your bills. Here's a pretty picture and a Bible verse, a verse taken out of context, not written for every person in the world, now apply it to your life and feel better about yourself. And when you move into the writing world, a world of authors and various professionals working to put those 'Christian' books on the bookshelves, you also get book promotions, people posting about how wonderful libraries are, posting about leaving a review of a book you enjoyed because authors don't make very much money... You get the idea, they are promoting themselves and their trade. There's not necessarily anything wrong with that. If a person has a business they must promote it to stay in business. The problem comes in when this is what you see of a person that is claiming to be a 'Christian'. 

From knowing these authors I have been able to see the beliefs behind the 'Christian' label, at least I have seen some of them. And what I have seen is disturbing.

I don't know all of them well enough to know their deepest held beliefs, in fact, I would say I know none of them well enough to know their deepest held beliefs, but I do know all of them well enough to see what persona they want to show to the world. I see the persona they want their fans to see...and it isn't that of being a Biblical Christian. Not even the one author I know that claims to be reformed.

I'm using authors as an example because in a lot of ways they are what influences so many of America's so-called 'Christians'. These people write books that wind up in the hands and minds of thousands...millions...of people. They spread their beliefs to all that care to read their books, even if their book happens to be a cook book. And yet...the majority of them subscribe to a belief system that shows cutesy 'Christianity' and name-it and claim-it 'Christianity' over Scriptural Christianity.

Whether a 'Christian' is an author or an ordinary, everyday person, whether they are male or female, married, divorced, or single, there are 'Christian' retreats and conferences to attend, there are books to be bought and read, there are movies to watch... All of which promote something other than what Scripture promotes.

Much the way the person leaving comments on my blog recently was promoting something other than Scripture. That person even alligned themselves with a certain denominational belief, using the terms we and our to describe their beliefs, which left no doubt to the fact that they were laying claim to those denominational beliefs, only to turn around and say that they were not of that denomination. This person had a hard time even knowing their own beliefs well enough to stick to one story much less being able to back those beliefs with Scripture that wasn't twisted to support that denominational belief. Although I will give that person credit, I don't believe they were subscribing to cutesy 'Christianity'.

But one anti-Scriptural belief system is just as damaging to their soul as another. It doesn't matter if they believe God will do something for them if they post or share something on social media or if they believe God will owe them salvation, or owe their children salvation, if they can just be a good enough 'Christian'...it's all a false gospel that leads away from the true Christ and not to Him.

They can go to a conference to be taught how to have a good 'Christian' life on earth or they can sit home, pouring over their Bibles, studying for hours, to learn about how to be a better 'Christian' by doing...this. It all goes against Scripture.

I have been tempted, many times, to take a poll of those that I know both in real life and online, to see what denomination they line up with. I truly am curious, although I know the answer for some of them, just to see how far the cutesy or name it and claim it 'Christianity' has gone. 

Years ago I was part of a 'church' that claimed to be nondenominational. When I went there they did a fairly good job of reading straight from Scripture but the few encounters I've had with members of that 'church' over the last year or so has shown me that they have embraced the prosperity gospel and they teach classes using books and materials written by definite heretics.

Where is the true Christ in all of that? When does Christ get the glory through someone liking something on social media? How is Christ pointed to by someone working their way into sinless perfection so that God will 'owe' them the salvation of their children?


I've sat in the midst of so-called 'Christians' hearing the message they heard from their preacher, being told snippets of Scripture in a way that doesn't stretch the mind, doesn't convict the soul, and doesn't lead one to the Christ of Scripture. I've been told how much Jesus loves everyone, been told how  a 'Christian' should strive to be a better husband, wife, dad, or mom, and a multitude of other things. Things that are just 'Christian' enough to make one feel good about themselves and their weekly sacrifice of sitting in the 'church' and giving their 'tithes'.

I've visited with the people that sat through the same message and I've walked out of those messages gaining nothing from them or gaining very little. I've easily left a mornings teaching, which is really only about thirty minutes worth, behind as I moved back into my real life, going and doing the things I needed or wanted to do. Just as every other person in those pews did.

Where are the fire and brimstone messages that leave a person convicted, angry or emotionally hurting for Christ? And where are the 'Christians' that want those sort of teachings?

America's 'Christians' today don't want those teachings. They want the cutesy teachings that tell them they are basically a good person, that their sins aren't really all that bad, and give them just a tidbit of Scripture to stretch them a hairsbreadth from where they were when they walked in the door, a stretch that won't last past lunchtime.

Or worse, they take that little bit of teaching, teaching that is erroneous at best, and add it to the celebrity author or preachers teachings they have been absorbing all week in their books and movies and then they take to the internet to share more cutesy 'Christianity' and tell other people how great a life they can have here on earth while never even noticing that the Christians of Scripture, including Christ himself, did not have great earthly lives. They take no note of the fact that Scripture tells us that we are to be content with food and clothing and that earthly things are not blessings but curses.

It's almost as if these professing 'Christians' live on the cutesy sayings, the do this and you'll be blessed by God posts, the pictures of serene places with a nice little verse written at the bottom to point them back to a surface level 'Christianity'. They seem to need to see, or post, these things every five minutes. It's like a drug addict taking their next hit. 'I'm running out of steam, I've lost my 'Christian' focus, let me post this to remind myself of what I'm supposed to be believing.' They have been well trained by a world that is antagonistic to true Christianity. They feed themselves and allow themselves to be fed off things that are not true Scripture.

They pick their Bibles apart and use them like drawing tablets or coloring books. Again, I have no problem with writing or even coloring pictures in your Bible. I think that if those things help a person to meditate on Christ than doing them is a good thing. I also think that if taking notes, highlighting, or even drawing a picture in your Bible helps you to better enjoy your Bible, or if you're trying to make an heirloom for your children or grandchildren, and you want to preserve your beliefs along with pictures you've drawn, letters you've written to a certain person, or even just to whoever might get your Bible someday, than that is a wonderful thing. Anything that points someone to Christ, even through pictures or letters in a Bible, is a good thing. And anything that a person enjoys, that makes their Bible feel more like their very own, that makes them more comfortable with, or helps them better enjoy their Bible is great. What isn't great or good, or wonderful, is the picking apart of Scripture to highlight only a certain section, turning all of Scripture into nothing more than a book filled with those cutesy pages where most of Scripture can't even be read.

Those same 'Christians' wear their 'Christianity' on their t-shirts, they drive it around on their cars. But do they share the Christianity of Scripture? When they wear shirts that twist Scripture, shirts they proudly acquire the way the non-Christian acquires...something...are they pointing anyone to Christ? Do those t-shirts, bumper stickers, and emblems point to Christ or do they just promote more cutesy 'Christianity' that is of no more benefit than an atheists beliefs?

Do these 'Christians' live for Christ or do they live for the recognition they get through those t-shirts, through their weekly dip into the 'church' pool, through their taste of Scripture through their little pictures with verses, through their...pats on the back to themselves and others by way of compliments and encouragements in their cutesy 'Christianity'. Are they living for, pointing toward, Christ with their brief 'Christian' moments, that must be constantly fed with cutesy 'Christianity' in order to stay strong in their lives, or are they just feeding their egos?


11 comments:

  1. The belittling comments here stating that my beliefs are not in Scripture is quite bold to say the least. In fact, I did type a very lengthy reply to the last comment you made, showing you that you are indeed wrong about your interpretation of Luke 22:36. In fact, I believe much of how you take Scripture is obscured by taking the verses out of context. It is the only way a person can claim any part of Calvinism. That is not Scriptural at all. I was unable to make that post, whether I was blocked or Google did not allow it...I do not know. But I will say this, 'Pride goeth before a fall.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you feel that way, sorry that I made you feel that way, but since it appears that you may have read several of my posts, if you notice this post has no different tone than any others I have written. In fact, this one is much less bold than others I have written, the God of Arminianism comes to mind. There is very little in my life that is not subject to be placed into the things I write. In fact, as a friend of many authors, I well know that that happens with pretty much anyone that does any kind of writing. comments left on my blog are no exception to this. I had nothing to do with your response that got blocked. Whatever happened to it, I never saw it, but I would have liked to. I really do enjoy your comments and the chance to engage with a reader.

      Can you please show me, using nothing but Scripture, where I have taken any verse out of context?

      Delete
  2. Luke 22: 35-38 ... Two swords were 'enough.' 2 enough for 12?
    Isaiah 53:12 ... To fulfill the prophecy, Jesus had to be counted as a transgressor ... have a sword.
    Matthew 26: 55-56 ... Again, fulfilling the prophecy is the point.
    Matthew 26: 52-53 ... Jesus rebuked Peter and his defensive attack.
    Why did he rebuke Peter's actions after telling him to buy a sword? Look over at John 18:36 ... The reason Jesus gave for not fighting is that His kingdom is not of this world. His Kingdom is built on love and love for our enemies, so in contrast to the kingdoms of the world, Jesus' servants do not fight.
    Matthew 26:52 is universal. ALL
    Revelation 13:9-10 ... He who has an ear ... same use of sword here. Patient endurance and faithfulness.
    Most of the Apostles met a martyrs death and showed love for their enemies. Acts 7:60, Romans 12:14, Romans 12:17-21, 1 Thess 5:9, 1 Thess 5:15, James 1:20, & 1 Peter 3:9-11.
    There, only Scripture, Biblical Non-Resistance. A clear point. There is much more than repent and believe in the Gospel. 1 John 2:6 ... Do you adhere to this Scripture? One of the comments said 'subsequent Christian living.' Yes, very important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me start by saying that I appreciate you taking the time to comment. It is very nice to get comments and to be given the chance to engage in conversation with one of my readers. I must admit that I can't quite see the connection between non-resistance and reading Scripture in black and white. These conversations have taken some twists from our original opposing views but they have been very interesting and I have, and am, enjoying them.
      In your most recent comment you said, "Luke 22: 35-38 ... Two swords were 'enough' 2 enough for 12?" Here are those verses, 'And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no moneybag or knapsack or sandals, did you lack anything?”They said, “Nothing.” 36 He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one. 37 For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in me: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors.’ Forwhat is written about me has its fulfillment.” 38 And they said, “Look, Lord, here are two swords.” And he said to them, “It is enough.”'
      I don't know how two swords would be enough for 11 men, this was after Judas betrayed Christ so there were only 11 disciples. But it really is irrelevant. In these verses Christ is asking his disciples if they lacked anything while he was with them, to which they replied that they lacked nothing with Him. Christ knew they would soon be on their own, that he would no longer be with them, so He was telling them what they would need when He wasn't there. Why would Christ tell them to get a sword if He was opposed to them defending themselves? Two swords would not be enough for a person, or a group of men, to start a battle, but they might be enough to fight off someone that was attacking them. Again, I really don't know why He told them that two swords were enough but I fail to see the relevancy in that statement to the point you're trying to make. It doesn't matter if Christ told them to get a single sword, a gun, a bow and arrow...by telling them to get any weapon, even just one, or in this case two, shows that He was not telling them 'don't lift a finger to protect yourselves'.
      You gave several verses, that did use Scripture and nothing but Scripture to show your point of view, but you missed one thing. All of those verses were taken from a time when Christ was still with the disciples, or in the case of Isaiah, were pointing to what was to come. Here's what you said, "Isaiah 53:12 ... To fulfill the prophecy, Jesus had to be counted as a transgressor ... have a sword.

      Delete

    2. Matthew 26: 55-56 ... Again, fulfilling the prophecy is the point." In Luke 22, Christ clearly asked the disciples if they lacked anything while He was with them, they replied that they did not. The verses above are from a time when Christ was with them, before they would be left without Him on this earth and would need to fend for themselves. It was at the time when Christ would soon be gone, after the verses you gave, that Christ told them to get a sword. So the verses you gave are out of context and do not support Christ telling anyone to be non-resistant.
      Later, in a verse that was also out of the context for Luke 22, you said, "Matthew 26: 52-53 ... Jesus rebuked Peter and his defensive attack. Why did he rebuke Peter's actions after telling him to buy a sword?"
      Here is the context of those verses, While he was still speaking, Judas came, one of the twelve, and with him a great crowd with swords and clubs, from the chief priests and the elders of the people. 48 Now the betrayer had given them a sign, saying, “The one I will kiss is the man; seize him.” 49 And he came up to Jesus at once and said, “Greetings, Rabbi!” And he kissed him.50 Jesus said to him, “Friend, do what you came to do.”[f]Then they came up and laid hands on Jesus and seized him. 51 And behold, one of those who were with Jesus stretched out his hand and drew his sword and struck the servant[g] of the high priest and cut off his ear. 52 Then Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword. 53 Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels? 54 But how then should the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must be so?” 55 At that hour Jesus said to the crowds, “Have you come out as against a robber, with swords and clubs to capture me? Day after day I sat in the temple teaching, and you did not seize me. 56 But all this has taken place that the Scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled.”Then all the disciples left him and fled.
      Christ did tell Peter to put his sword away here, and he did tell him that those that live by the sword will perish by the sword. From the above Scripture, reading only the black and white of those words, I can clearly see how those verses might be taken as Peter acting defensively to protect Christ, but I can also see how Peter was acting in opposition to Christ. Christ knew what was coming and so did the disciples. They had been told time and again of what was to come. They knew what was happening when Christ went into the garden to pray. They knew it. And yet Peter clearly acted against what Christ was doing. Christ was going with those that had come for Him willingly. He wasn't fighting or struggling. He wasn't even speaking out against them with words. And Peter clearly pulled out a sword, acting in a way that went against the actions of Christ. And Christ told him to put his sword away. Yes, he told him that those that live by the sword will die by the sword. But if we look at what was going on there, Peter's use of the sword defied Christ's actions, the knowledge Peter had of the Scriptures and what was to come, and...what would happen if someone pulled out a weapon in a crowd of armed people and began to fire on them, or stab them, or whatever it is that there weapon did? Peter was essentially starting a war. This crowd does not seem to be brandishing their weapons, they have them, ready to use them, but do not appear to have been using them up to that point. Christ tells Peter that he who lives by the sword will die by the sword. That armed crowd could have easily killed one man, acting offensively or defensively.

      Delete
    3. You then said, "Look over at John 18:36 ... The reason Jesus gave for not fighting is that His kingdom is not of this world. His Kingdom is built on love and love for our enemies, so in contrast to the kingdoms of the world, Jesus' servants do not fight."
      Here is that verse from the ESV Bible, Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.
      Can you please tell me where in that verse you see Christ saying His kingdom is built on 'love and love for our enemies'? Because what I see in Scripture, yes, we are told to love others and to love our enemies, but we are told something else to, Christ said, in Matthew 10, 'So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, 33 butwhoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.
      Not Peace, but a Sword
      34 “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36 And a person's enemies will be those of his own household. 37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.38 And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

      Where in that does it say that Christ's kingdom is built on love?

      Delete


    4. Christ's kingdom is not of this world, it is a Spiritual kingdom, and Christ is concerned with the Spiritual. He is not saying that we are not to fight on this earth, He is saying that His kingdom is not of this world. He does say that His servants have not been fighting but He does not say that they should not protect themselves. There is much more I could say here but will instead point you to a post I wrote a while back that covers this quite well, and in detail, Spiritual prisoners, http://journeyingtochrist.blogspot.com/search?q=spiritual+prisoners

      You then referred to, "Matthew 26:52 is universal. ALL"
      I agree that all would include everyone. But there is a big difference between defending oneself and in living by the sword, or in our case today, by the gun. And even if He did mean that if we use a weapon to defend ourselves or our families that we will die by the same weapon...would you not die for your sons and daughters?

      You gave a number of other verses, "Revelation 13:9-10 ... He who has an ear ... same use of sword here. Patient endurance and faithfulness.
      Most of the Apostles met a martyrs death and showed love for their enemies. Acts 7:60, Romans 12:14, Romans 12:17-21, 1 Thess 5:9, 1 Thess 5:15, James 1:20, & 1 Peter 3:9-11." I'm not going to reply to each of these, verse by verse, I think that my reply above more than supports what Scripture says and refutes the erroneous belief that you have given me for not defending oneself. I do have to wonder though, what does a person defending themselves, whether or not they are a Christian, have to do with ones salvation? Even if Scripture clearly forbade it, which it does not, then at worst we would be committing sin in the midst of extreme trial if we defended our self or another.
      "There, only Scripture, Biblical Non-Resistance. A clear point." I'm sorry but as you can see from my responses above, it is a point that I cannot see in Scripture.
      You said, "There is much more than repent and believe in the Gospel." May I ask, first of all, what do you consider the Gospel to be? And, second, what do you think it takes for a person to have salvation? And can they keep that salvation or can they lose it?
      "1 John 2:6 ... Do you adhere to this Scripture? One of the comments said 'subsequent Christian living.' Yes, very important." Yes, I do agree with this but I do not believe it means we must work hard to do so. As I have stated before, I believe in reference to raising children and living out a Christian life, I believe that once a person is regenerated they will naturally live out this and much more of Scripture, because once they are indwelt by Christ they cannot do anything but walk like He did.

      Delete
  3. "The verses above are from a time when Christ was with them, before they would be left without Him on this earth and would need to fend for themselves."

    I did read all of your comments, but I seriously had to take it very lightly after this above comment. For one who believes so strongly in Scripture, how could you possibly think that there is one moment in our lives when we have to fend for ourselves? That is amazing to me after reading some of your posts. You talk of the Sovereignty of God, and I could give many verses also that talk of God's pleasure and provisions, and yet you think we are fending for ourselves or that the disciples did after Jesus left? He specifically told them that He would be with them til the end! Self-defensive has no place in the life of God's children. God is with us, His will be done! I am saddened at how you are taking these Scriptures out of context still. You asked me for Scripture only and I did that, leaving out any of my own thoughts, and yet, as one who believes in Sola Scriptura, you have just tried to indoctrinate me with your 'commentary.' Doesn't that go against your belief in Sola Scriptura? As I said once before, blessings on your Journey to Christ. I must depart as I need not read more. Thank you for your time but I pray that God will open your eyes to much more of His will for you. Yes, raising children is so important, teaching them, but most importantly is to be a living example to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right, you need read no more as what I believe was never really going to change. If through Scripture someone was to show me that I was in error, and I could see my own error pointed out in the words of Scripture, than I would follow what I understand in Scripture, but that wasn't the case through your comments. I do thank you for taking the time to talk with me and for trying to indoctrinate me into your beliefs. I understand that from what you believe that you were trying to help me, possibly to save me, and that means a lot to me.
      I will say good bye here. Once again, thank you for all your time and effort in trying to show me the error of my ways from your understanding of Scripture. We do not see things the same way but we are both living out our lives according to our own understandings of Scripture and that is, after all, what matters most. We were assigned the life we live by God and we must live out the life He has set before us, even in our beliefs in Him.
      May the Lord be with you and I do pray that He will open your eyes to all of Scripture as it is written in Scripture.

      Delete
  4. I wish to further respond to the last comment left by Anonymous for the sake of any other readers that may read this post and the comments it contains so far.
    Anonymous began leaving comments on my blog on 'The black and white of Scripture', they then started leaving comments here, on Cutesy Christianity. I will admit that part of this post has references to the comments that Anonymous left on the Black and white of Scripture. I base my writings off of Scripture and the things that happen in my earthly life. There is very little that I will not use in my writings if what I'm writing is the result of an experience in my life or if something I experienced in life pertains to, supports, or reinforces what I am writing. Comments left on this blog are no exception. In writing Cutesy Christianity I was in no way trying to belittle, make fun of, or disregard the feelings, thoughts or beliefs that Anonymous holds. Those things simply worked into what I was writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In their latest comment Anonymous said some things that I feel the need to briefly respond to for the sake of anyone that might read these comments.

      They said, "For one who believes so strongly in Scripture, how could you possibly think that there is one moment in our lives when we have to fend for ourselves? That is amazing to me after reading some of your posts. You talk of the Sovereignty of God, and I could give many verses also that talk of God's pleasure and provisions, and yet you think we are fending for ourselves or that the disciples did after Jesus left?"

      Here is what I said that prompted the above statement, "The verses above are from a time when Christ was with them, before they would be left without Him on this earth and would need to fend for themselves." I would like to point out here that I said,"they would be left without Him on this earth." I did go on to say that they would be left to fend for themselves and I realize now that that was a poor choice of words. I never for a single moment believe that we are fending for ourselves in the sense that the Lord is not with us, directing our steps, actions, and thoughts, but I do believe that there is a big difference in facing life with Christ walking beside you in the form of a man on earth and in Him leading us Spiritually. Therefore, what I meant in that statement is that Christ would not be physically with them on earth, that the disciples would be facing their daily lives, trials, and dangers without the physical presence of Christ with them.

      Anonymous also said, "Self-defensive has no place in the life of God's children." This is subject to their own beliefs, as is my belief that a Christian can defend themselves or a loved one. Scripture does not clearly tell us that we are to defend ourselves in times of danger nor does it clearly tell us not to.

      Anonymous said, "God is with us, His will be done!" I agree. That is what I base my whole blog on. I believe that we are the Lord's creation and He does with us as He sees fit to further His plan. We are but one part in a huge plan that encompasses all of time.

      Anonymous then said, "I am saddened at how you are taking these Scriptures out of context still. You asked me for Scripture only and I did that, leaving out any of my own thoughts," Yes, they did do that, here in these comments, but as they showed in comments on the Black and white of Scripture, they do approach Scripture through a lens, that lens is the Anabaptist doctrine, possibly other doctrines, in which they believe, just as I approach Scripture through the lens of being reformed.
      They then went on to say, "and yet, as one who believes in Sola Scriptura, you have just tried to indoctrinate me with your 'commentary.'" Truly, I did no such thing. I did not ask this person to come and read my blog. I did not ask them to leave comments that will guarentee I respond every time since their beliefs are so off from my own. This is my blog, I write what I believe here, I never ask anyone to come and read it. Should anyone not agree with my beliefs, they will never like what I write, that does not mean that I am trying to 'indoctrinate' anyone. I will, however respond to any comment posted on my blog.

      "Doesn't that go against your belief in Sola Scriptura?" No, I believe that it makes me a good steward of the faith the Lord has placed in me. I am using the gift of writing that He gave me, to write for myself and anyone wishing to read what I write. And I am doing nothing but continuing that faith and the gift entrusted to me when I reply to someone that comes to my blog, the equivalent of walking into my home, and makes comments to me about what I believe. I do not think responding to comments that someone else started when they came into my blog goes against Sola Scriptura.

      Delete