Friday, February 23, 2018

Drowning in Bible studies

Is it possible for a person to drown in Bible studies? If so I might just be about to go under. I say that in the lightest most teasing way although it's hard to convey that through written word.

Yesterday I sat down with the intention of writing a post on studying the Scriptures (that will come soon) and found that my thoughts and typing fingers decided to write something other than what I intended to write. I wound up sharing about my most reached for Bible instead. Later I wondered what the point to sharing that really was and finally decided that since I did not set out to write that post then I had no point to it but the Lord must have wanted me to share something that is so personal to me. Maybe someone reading this is wondering about my Bible. I do not know. Regardless of the reason for it, I wrote it and have scheduled it to post on my blog because someone might want to read it.

After finishing that post I went back to trying to write what I had originally set out to write, a post about Bible study in my home, more specifically about Bible study between my husband and I. The second try did not turn out any better than the first one did. My sister called and informed me that she had posted something Scriptural on social media and been accused of being satanic and could I please go look at it and tell her if what she said was satanic.

Off I went to give my sister a quick, for me, answer and almost as soon as I posted my reply...there was nothing satanic in her post...the person that had said it was satanic addressed a comment to me. That single comment drew me into a conversation with a lost person that lasted the better part of yesterday, granted it was off and on and carried out completely through social media comments.

This morning I was greeted with an article on a reformed group about a famous evangelist and his state of eternity. It was not directed to me but to the entire group so I could have simply ignored it and moved on. That didn't happen though because the person sharing the article wrote something that got my curiosity up...I know, curiosity killed the cat. I should have remembered that because while my family was sleeping I was busy reading an article that got my mind spinning with Scripture and the eternal consequences (good or bad) of our beliefs. I even engaged in a brief conversation about the article with another reformed woman.

When my family woke I set my internet device aside...okay, it was my phone...and I switched to caring for them but my mind did not switch gears, Scripture and thoughts of beliefs, salvation, and eternity filled my mind as I went about my tasks.

When time allowed I shared the last comment the person had made to me on my sisters social media post with my husband. By that time I had discussed it with my sister and had an entire night to think and pray on what to do. My husband's response to what this person wrote was pretty much the same as mine was and his solution was the same one I had come to...draw the conversation to a close and bow out. Staying in it was serving no purpose but to throw my pearls before swine.

But sharing that with my husband opened up more Bible study on beliefs and salvation. And on the lengths people will go to in their belief on salvation.

Without me saying a word to him about the article I read on the reformed group my husband brought up the same evangelist I had read about and how everyone is so quickly and eagerly pointing out that he is in heaven.

Which, of course, started another bible study.

On top of all of that, I have a long distance friend that I have been doing a bit of Bible study with long distance and my thoughts occasionally go to what I need to write to her.

And so, here I sit, my thoughts swirling and my heart well, how do I explain exactly what it is my heart does when my mind is filled with things of Scripture?

There is no point to this post, no learning for me, no pulling together of my thoughts. It is simply a post I felt led to write, to share, because I find myself in this situation of drowning in Bible studies at the moment. And somehow, through some miracle of the Lord's making, they all tie together. Every last one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment