Friday, May 8, 2015

Idolatry in the 'church'


Last Sunday I went to services at the ‘church’ building that I sometimes attend. When I was going there on a weekly basis I couldn’t see it for what it was. This ‘Church’ building has a theme and they use that theme for everything. You don’t need to see a sign or read a pamphlet to know what this ‘church’ building stands for. All you have to do is drive past. You can’t miss the message they send. It’s in the shape of their building, in the type of fencing, in the look of the grounds. And just in case you miss it when you pull into the parking lot you’ll be sure to pick it up when you walk inside. From the pictures hanging on the walls, the Bible verses that have been rewritten to support the theme of the ‘church’, all the way to the handles on the bathroom stalls. There is a very definite theme and it isn't Christ.
This 'church' does have a very strong professing belief, they do touch topics most 'churches' won't but Christ isn't the first thing you notice about this 'church.'

When I visit this ‘church’ I clearly see all this for what it is now but when I was a regularly attending member I couldn’t see it for what it was. Idolatry.

It’s in everything that this ‘church’ building stands for and the members there take pride in the theme. Now that I see the idolatry for what it is I’m aware of it everytime I visit this ‘church’ building. I very much enjoy getting to visit with the friends we made there but the idolatry in what the building stands for, in what they use to entertain their members, now stands out to me.

Why I didn’t see it for what it was when I was attending there regularly I don’t know. This particular ‘church’ building has a very obvious theme that does not revolve around Christ. It is a theme that if not connected to the ‘church’ one would never see a connection to Christ at all. But because they have connected it to Christ what should have been a culture or way of life for some that has nothing to do with the Lord, what should have been a group of various people, some that were Christians, some that weren’t, has now become a way of pulling people in and keeping them in the ‘church’ through the use of a theme that draws crowds in large numbers.

 I still enjoy going to this ‘church’ from time to time and would enjoy going to some of their events if I was close enough to do so but I now cringe at all the idolatry involved with this ‘church’ building and all the events they host in the name of God.

I can’t help but think…What does the Lord think of all of this? It’s idolatry in the fullest sense that has been dressed up to be about Christ.

 And it happens in every denomination, in just about every 'church' building. Whether it's a theme, the building, the preacher, their doctrine, tithes...whatever it is... most, if not all, 'church' buildings have something that's more important than Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment