Friday, February 12, 2016

Why should we be treated as equal?


I stumbled across something today that made me pause. It could be old news or it could have been fresh news this morning…I do not know. And to me…for me…it makes no difference if it’s new news or old news. It’s the very fact that the thought exists that gained my attention.

You see, the news I saw this morning, which was really a link at the end of an article I was reading, was about a female draft in America. When I clicked on the link I was taken to a page that had a video but no article. I had no interest in watching the video so I skipped down to the nearly 600 comments. And what I found there was more than enlightening.

Among all those comments, once I skimmed through the many, many, insults aimed at other commenters, were two trains of thought…those that supported the draft and those that didn’t. The amazing thing was that very few people supported it. Among those that didn’t support it there seemed to be several thought processes, those that didn’t want a draft at all-whether for males or females, those that didn’t believe women should be in the military because they didn’t believe the women could physically do the jobs a man could, and those that didn’t want women in the military because they believed women should be protected from the dangers and horrors of war.

But the amazing thing was that among those that supported a female draft most of them supported it because of the women…feminists…that have demanded equality. And among those supporting the female draft there was almost a 100% distinction between the women that they thought should be drafted and the ones they didn’t think should be.

The commenters, from what I could gather, were mostly men, regardless of which side of the draft discussion they fell on. And those that were for the draft were almost all for it as it pertained to the feminist women. They suggested not only drafting the feminists but in many cases putting them on the front lines of war. But the same people suggesting that were also, in many cases, saying that the non-feminist women should not be drafted at all.

I have several female relatives that would probably fall somewhere in the feminist spectrum, although as far as I know none of them claim to be a feminist. And as far as I know none of them would support or want a female draft. But then I’m not sure I know very many men that support or want a male draft.

But what I found truly amazing as I read through that long list…a list I didn’t reach the bottom of…of comments was the near total distinction between the women being discussed. Regardless of which side of the debate a commenter stood on, it was almost as if they were discussing two different…breeds. Dogs verses cats or men verses women. Feminist women verses non-feminist women.

They did not, in most cases, lump all women into the same category, although there were a few that did. I can well remember many times in my life when I have thought back to the many things the feminist women have done and wondered why those handful of women had to go and ruin things for the rest of us. Just because some women wanted to be treated as men why do we all have to suffer for it?

The draft spoken of in the comments I read, is only one example of many cases were the feminists and those seeking equality have managed to ruin things for everyone.

Men and women were not created equal. We were never designed to be equal. We were not intended to be equal.

Why should we be treated as equal?

And why would we want to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment