Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Christ first news


I recently accompanied my husband to an appointment where we had to sit in the waiting room for quite some time. While we were there a man sitting a few seats down from us left a newspaper. Looking for something to pass the time my husband and I picked up the paper and flipped through it.

I’ve never been a big fan of the news in any form. I remember my grandparents watching it faithfully every night at five and ten. You could set your clock by them and their news programs. I found it boring then, I find it disheartening now.

As I flipped through the pages of that newspaper I found nothing with enough value in the headline to make me pause and read the article. I do the same thing with online news sources although I do usually find one or two headlines intriguing but it takes something extraordinary to get me to actually read the article.

After our time in the waiting room was over I found myself thinking of that newspaper, found myself wondering how much more interesting I might have found it if another regenerated Christian had written it.

From time to time I do an internet search for reformed blogs. I type in words like…reformed…regenerated…monergist…trying to find anything that comes close to the kind of blog posts I write. Everytime I come up with the same results. Nothing.

There are some reformed blogs out there, some of which I read, but I can’t seem to find anything even close to the kind of posts I write. Which is okay but I do still look occasionally. Just in case.

As I thought about that newspaper I wondered what it would be like if it were put out by a reformed Christian, by someone regenerated, by someone writing articles to share Christ and their beliefs in Him and nothing else. What would it be like to have the news, any kind of news, stories would be fine, delivered with no agenda but Christ’s?

There are online sources for the news that are delivered by Christians. News where world happenings are weighed against the Bible. I do enjoy reading a few of those from time to time but that isn’t exactly what I’m thinking of.

Years ago I used to make a family newsletter for all the descendants of my great grandparents. I included marriages, births, deaths, and happenings in someone’s life…if it happened in the family and I knew of it there was a chance it would show up in my newsletter. I didn’t just stick to family members from now but wrote about what I knew of those long gone. It was a newsletter of news updates, history, current events, life…

That was the kind of newspaper I was thinking of as I wondered what would it be like to hold that kind of newspaper in my hand, to be able to read that kind of news. What would it be like to have a newspaper that reported news from a Christ first perspective? For me…I wouldn’t care if it was current events or Christians that were featured, Scripture verses or historical events. Just to have a place to read that reported everything by looking at Christ first.

No comments:

Post a Comment